[Oberon] Zonnon

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Mar 28 04:36:04 CEST 2006

> August Karlstrom wrote:
> >
> > Would an Oberon -> Zonnon translator be useful?
>
> What would be the advantage of such a translator compared to
> a .NET compiler for Oberon?

Good question. One of the advantages of .NET is the ability to mix and match
languages, so there is less need to translate from one language to another.

I asked the question because I may already have done 90% of the work on a
translator and want to know whether such a project is worth the remaining
10% effort.

I can think of three possibilities. If anybody can think of any more I'd
also be interested to know.

1. You want to experiment with Zonnon, but don't want to start completely
from scratch when developing an application.

2. Zonnon has some additional language features that make it more suited to
.NET development than Oberon. Once the translation had been done, work could
be done to take advantage of the new features.

3. Perhaps I should have said an Oberon-2 -> Zonnon translator. There is no
Oberon-2 compiler for .NET (yet?).

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com/gpcp