[Oberon] Zonnon

John Drake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 17:15:18 CEST 2006

--- "Douglas G. Danforth" <danforth at greenwoodfarm.com>
wrote:

> John Drake wrote:
> >  But when I saw Doug's request I immediately
> > thought "What about products like MathCad
> > and Mathmatica?"
> Yes, that is the right class and spirit.  However,
> to my knowledge
> Mathematica does not have
> a pen interface and one must enter equations on a
> linear (line) basis
> which are then re-represented
> for you on the screen nicely.  I really want a
> WYSIWYG input and output
> capability with semantic
> interpretation (context).  E-ink and other similar
> technologies are
> about to make the type of interface
> that I want practical.  Unfortunately the products
> will be oriented
> 'toward the masses' and not the
> scientists.
>
> -Doug Danforth

I do recall the last time I used MathCAD that
the process of entering formulae was "WYSIWYG"
but it was also VERY tedious to do.  (Click on
the symbol you want.  Then click on where the
little boxes where you wanted to put the
numbers.  Then click on....)

By contrast I recently picked up an HP graphing
calculator for the first time and found entering
forumlas MUCH easier once I got used to it.
Perhaps such programs need an interface that's
more "keyboard" based than "mouse" based?
And it would be interesting to experiment
with a pen based version.  I wonder if anyone
is doing anything with programs like MathCAD
and tablet PCs and/or PDAs?  That might be
an interesting research project.

Regards,

John M. Drake