[Oberon] Rollback to old object file format

Ulrike Glavitsch ulrike.glavitsch at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Apr 4 17:43:04 CEST 2006

Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. April 2006 16:59 schrieb Ulrike Glavitsch:
>
>> Dear Bluebottle users,
>>
>> the changes in the compiler due to the new object file format (*.Bbx)
>> made Bluebottle a less stable system than it was before Dec. 13, 05.
>> This is why we decided to undo these changes and publish a Bluebottle
>> release with still the old object file format (*.Obx).
>>
> [...]
>
> Is there really something wrong with the new file format, or makes this new format
> bugs visible, which did not occur with the old format by happy coincidence?
>
> With Linux sometimes hidden bugs occur if code is compiled with new version of gcc,
> so new file format or compiler changes may be a way to discover old hidden bugs.
>
> Best regards
>
> Stefan Salewski

I agree with your comment. Adding new features, functions to a system
may reveal old hidden bugs. But we think that a published release should
be stable to a certain extent and should allow the developer to work
comfortably with the system. This was the main reason for the rollback.
We had memory problems with the release that used the old object file
format already. It is probably easier to find these in the rolled back
version.

Best regards

Ulla Glavitsch

--