[Oberon] report-back on linux-oberon

easlab at absamail.co.za easlab at absamail.co.za
Sat Jun 3 13:52:47 CEST 2006

Linux-oberon works well for me.
Mainly allowing full-featured inet facilities eg. frames & javascript
enabled browser and threading NewsReader on the same session
as N-O like facilities.

The transfering of text files:  ETH-oberon <-> Linux [or FAT] is
convenient.  All systems have a setup/learning cost.

Most important is that the look & feel is the same as N-O.
Although you don't have partitions, the heirarchy has increased
in another way. Eg. now linux-oberon is only one of 4 descendants,
the other 3 being [typically for a 4 pane desktop]:
1.  a set of mc [the indespensible magnificant file-manager].
    I've got a script based way of using lynx to download a set of pages.
    IMO most stuff which isn't plain text is often cosmetic garbage.
    That's why I hate my gooleMail.
2.  a full-featured browser,
3.  a newsReader  - I'm trying pan because it's based on Agent, which
     I liked from the Win3.1 days, but my version seems to still be beta ?

I also looked a Wirth's compiler-book in pdf, expecting that the text
could be extracted.  I see it's just a graphical image.
Is pdf economical for images ?
Is OCR of pdf-images done ?
Only once I've got the text in a N-O enviroment, with colour & font
editing facilities is it fully digestable for me.

As you see, I still need to use the old N-O setup for email.

Thanks for linux-oberon.

== Chris Glur.