[Oberon] OLPC - One Laptop Per Child

Douglas G. Danforth Danforth at GreenwoodFarm.com
Wed Dec 13 20:02:49 MET 2006

Chris,
Your comments just made a connection for me.
ETHZ is to future software as
XEROX is to Apple.
That is, the company Xerox developed the Alto,
Smalltalk, bitmaped graphics, and encorporated
the mouse but did not market any of this.  It took
Apple computer to bring these technologies to the
general public.
I had the privilege of  talking to George Pake who
was the director of Xerox Parc and asking him
circa 1976 when they would market the Alto.
His comment was that they were a research group
and it was not their place to do so.
Now Dr. Wirth got inspiration from Parc to create
the Ceres machine and develop Oberon.  So it looks
as though a new company is necessary to spin off
the efforts of ETHZ.  However, this should have
been done in the late 80's and early '90s.
Oberon Microsystems was one such attempt but
did not have the clout to pull off a revolution.
What's the market for Oberon?  Something like
OLPC?
-Doug Danforth