[Oberon] Re. OLPC - One Laptop Per Child

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Thu Dec 14 00:36:52 MET 2006

Hi,

yes - an interesting discussion.

> 	Internet. The guy who can't think of what people in an African
> 	village would do with a laptop seems to lack imagination:

Well, an internet connection in every village is a very different
proposition from one laptop per child, which is what baffles me.

I have also spent quite a lot of time travelling in different parts of
Africa, mainly Ethiopia, and several other developing countries. I've
even used some of those internet cafes, and I believe I have perhaps a
more realistic view than most Westerners about people's living
conditions there. Your brother's closing point is certainly the most
accurate in my opinion:

> 	have cell phones. But for about 9/10th of people in rural
> 	villages in Africa, however, the priorities are still food,
> 	medicine, shelter. If Americans want to give Africans laptops,
> 	they should also help to provide education and income-earning
> 	opportunities (health care, etc.) so that people know how to
> 	use the laptops and don't have to sell them for a bag of
> 	corn.

Otherwise it all sounds rather like 'let them eat cake'.

 Bob