[Oberon] Parallel processing

Douglas G. Danforth Danforth at GreenwoodFarm.com
Tue Jan 30 22:28:02 MET 2007

Brantley,
Thank you for the fast response and reference. I am in the process of
reading it. One thought occurs to me engendered by that report and that
is the following.

I worked for four years at NASA Ames within their Research Institute for
Advance Computer Science (RIACS) on a project developed at Stanford by
Pentti Kanerva.  Kanerva's Sparse Distributed Memory (SDM) is a
massively parallel architecture that computes in one cycle.

Random Access Memory (RAM) is fast because it is massively parallel.  A
32 bit address is broadcast simultaneously to all locations in memory
and only one of those addresses responds by placing its contents on the
output bus (read operation) or by modifying its contents from the input
bus (write operation).

SDM is very similar except it uses addresses of thousands of bits.  One
can not represent all possible memory addresses for thousands of bits so
a sparse sampling of those locations is chosen.  When an address is
presented to the memory more than a single location responds (nearest k
locations) and they pool their contents to produce output or modify
(increment) their contents for input.

What does this have to do with computing?  It is the next level for it
is a pattern matching and completion machine.  Presented with an image
of a fuzzy "O" it is possible to clean it up and retrieve a very good
representation of an O (actual experiment performed).  It can do face
recognition, speech recognition, weather prediction, handwriting
recognition, and other pattern matching tasks.

SDM is a beast of a different kind and still many years in the future
for hardware to catch up with the concept.  It doesn't suffer, however,
from issues of threads and programming.  It is a learning machine.

I just wanted to get that idea on the table.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program!

-Doug Danforth