[Oberon] BootMan

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Wed Feb 21 20:12:53 MET 2007

I didn't find messages from you in my email or the archive.  I assume
that Andre himself will write to you.

Nonetheless, are you doing anything in the boot manager?  I ask
because many boot managers use a trick to put the processor into
protected mode and load a large memory segment descriptor, then return
to real mode and load a boot file that is larger than the 640k legacy
limit.

Have you, or anyone else on the list, got good access to a boot sector
source from something such as Linux or BSD so that I can read closely
on this trick and try to apply it to BlueBottle?  A URL to an online
page would be enough.  I did do a network load of BSD and read through
the source once, but it took all night to make the install and I
needed to re-configure the machine.

Are you working on this very approach yourself?

On 2/21/07, Easthope <peasthope at cablelan.net> wrote:
> Folk,
>
> Sorry for the four defective messages last week.  I'm
> working on the problem.
>
> The source code suggested that BootMan was written by
> Andre Fischer.  Also, Andre has written much of the
> documentation in http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/.
>
> Therefore I am puzzled that http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/bootman.html
> covers Windows NT/2000 Multiboot and GRUB but
> does not mention BootMan.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootman states "bootman
> is the BeOS boot loader."  If there is an opportunity to
> document BootMan, a comment on any connection to
> BeOS bootman, or absence thereof, would be interesting.
>
> Thanks,            ... Peter E.

-- Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.