[Oberon] RX.Tool scope limited to 1 line ?

Peter Easthope peasthope at cablelan.net
Thu Mar 1 17:54:16 MET 2007

Chris,

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 04:16:59PM +0000, Chris Glur wrote:

> This most frustrating [but essential] Tool !

Babel and Regul written by Gerard Meunier are
far more sophisticated.  Try them.  RX is for
simpler tasks.

> When ever I try to program it after 6 months away, I need a
> 2 hour refresher course.

Two hours spent studying Regul will be a
better investment.

> I've always understood that the 'scope' is limited to a single line.
> Ie. that searching & replacing cannot be done over line boundries.

True as far as I know for RX.  Regul does not
have that limitation.

> This seems not to be the case. Since there would then be no reason
> to have in the recognised 'syntax':
> "      c		:  carriage return "

That allows you to match the whole line
to the end rather than a substring of
the line.

> Can this utility eg. find and remove all such 4 lines from a marked
> frame:
>
> <anyString> <space> "cat" <anyString>
> <anyString for line 2>
> <anyString for line 3>
> <anyString> <space> "dog"

Easily done with ET.  Just mark the text
with MR.  ET.Search to the mark.  Replace
with a CR.  Repeat or use RepAll.

Regards,          ... Peter E.