[Oberon] Darwin Oberon 2.4.3

Guenter Feldmann fld at informatik.uni-bremen.de
Sun Mar 25 19:03:10 MEST 2007

Am Samstag 24 März 2007 04:07 schrieb Roger Vossler:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know if Darwin Oberon has been ported to Mac OSX 10.4.x on
> Intel Macintosh hardware?

I have already spent some time in trying to port Oberon to Intel Macintosh,
but without success so far. The problem is that I can't get the interface
between Oberon code and Darwin working right. Some library funtions
(e.g. printf) do what they should but others (e.g. dlsym) crash with
segmentation violation when they get called via Oberon procedure variables.

Looks like in addition to the right parameters some special machine context
is needed for the failing library functions. Unfortunately I miss a description
of the 'binary application interface'. Until now I havn't found one int the
net.

> If not, does anyone know if a version of Darwin
> Oberon that worked on a Macintosh G4 or G5 processor will work with
> Rosetta on an Intel Macintosh?

The PowerMac port of Oberon will not work with Rosetta. Rosetta can only
handle 'finished' programs. In our case the boot loader and the prelinked
core modules. But the Oberon module 'Modules' will fail because it doesn't
know that it is working on a little endian machine.

-- Guenter