[Oberon] Re: New platform of possible interest to Oberon community

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sun Jan 20 22:04:02 MET 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 11:38 AM, Claudio Nieder <private at claudio.ch> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> But as at that time I had an SGI Indy at home and had to deal with a
> Decstation 5000 at work, and had some connections to ETH I asked for and got
> the sources to one of the two. It was that time, when I tried - had to
> abandon then because of no time :-( - to create a more unified version of all
> the different V4 implementations.
>
> So you are lucky to find in http://claudio.ch/V4/UV4/ a compiler with MIPS
> R2000 generator. It should work with newer CPUs, the decstation had a MIPS
> R3000, and my Indy either an R4400 or R4600. It will of course not be able to
> use the 64 bit extensions.
>
> Hope this helps you get started.
>
> claudio
> --
> Claudio Nieder, Talweg 6, CH-8610 Uster, Tel +4179 357 6743, www.claudio.ch

I am very pleased to learn of this archive.  It turns out that I have
learned of the bankruptcy of SGI in reading this weekend, and that
there are some SGI Oxygen and Lynx machines for sale on eBay for very
little money.  One is expiring now that I am not bidding on.  I want
one so much and the money is so little, but I am trying to become much
more disciplined.

I have re-installed my V4 environment with some shadow directories
named MIPS_X.  I have run my source scanner "AlmGather" on the deeply
renamed file CompilerMIPS.Mod and associated files

OROPM.Mod OROPS.Mod OROPT.Mod OROPL.Mod
OROPC.Mod OROPV.Mod OROPB.Mod

from http://claudio.ch/V4/UV4/  and attempted a cross compilation into
the V4 (Windows XP) environment.

It looks encouraging.

The modules that AlmGather failed to find, and found to be imported by
the time Oberon (XP) is loaded, and determined to be imported by
CompilerMIPS are listed below.

The module OROPP.Mod is not evident to me in
http://claudio.ch/V4/UV4/.  Perhaps if someone else has it they will
submit it to you.  However, the module iOPP.Mod is available in the
(XP) environment, and HPOPP.Mod is available at
http://claudio.ch/V4/HPUX/.  They may provide a minimal path to
re-create OROPP.  Of course, if OROPPis available somewhere else I
would love to use the authentic one.

There is one module that will not compile in the XP environment due to
too many global pointers.  I can surely fix this.

----------------

AlmGather.Order  Oberon.Mod TextFrames.Mod CompilerMIPS.Mod  ~

		OROPP.Mod\s
		SYSTEM.Mod\s
	Begin on-line source list;  Folds.Compile\s
			Reals.Mod\s
							Console.Mod\s
						Kernel.Mod\s
					Registry.Mod\s
					ShowError.Mod\s
							Directories.Mod\s
						Files.Mod\s
					Modules.Mod\s
				Win32.Mod\s
			Display.Mod\s
				Strings.Mod\s
			Fonts.Mod\s
		Texts.Mod\s
		Viewers.Mod\s
		Input.Mod\s
	Oberon.Mod\s
		MenuViewers.Mod\s
	TextFrames.Mod\s

 ~
Folds.Compile		OROPM.Mod\s
				OROPS.Mod\s
			OROPT.Mod\s
		OROPL.Mod\s
			OROPC.Mod\s
		OROPV.Mod\s
		OROPB.Mod\s
	CompilerMIPS.Mod\s
 ~  AlmGather.Order ^ \s

  compiling  OROPM;   3186
  compiling  OROPS;   5155
  compiling  OROPT;
  pos  36742  err 222	too many global pointers
  compiling  OROPL;   23186
  compiling  OROPC;   23064
  compiling  OROPV;   13108
  compiling  OROPB;   28665