[Oberon] MTU, MaxPkt, EthernetFrameSize & etc.

PETER EASTHOPE peasthope at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 2 23:18:46 MEST 2008

Folk,

Since a few weeks ago, the Native Oberon system at
home has had a problem sending large files by FTP
and large messages by SMTP.  Small files and
messages transmit OK to any destination and large
files transmit OK to my Debian Lenny based router.

A possible explanation is that the ISP installed
a router which imposes a smaller MTU than previously
existed.  This I can test with ping.

Also I see that Net3Com509.Mod has MaxPkt = 1514;
Net3Com90x.Mod has EthernetFrameSize = 1514;
and NetTCP.Mod has MaxSMSS = 1420;
Whereas the table in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit
has Ethernet (802.3) (RFC 1191)  MTU 1492.

Can anyone comment or advise regarding the MTU setting in the
Ethernet drivers?

If the Ethernet MaxPkt is reduced, I guess that
the MaxSMSS should be reduced by the same
number.

Would MaxSMSS = "Maximum Send Maximum Segment Size"?

Thanks for any ideas,       ... Peter E.

--
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/
http://carnot.yi.org/ = http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/