[Oberon] Re: Replace with null-string ?! + VNC

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Thu Dec 18 17:38:03 MET 2008

Chris,

> Every thing works beautifully, except that the
> client is seeing its own screen instead of the server.

I'm still not certain of your hardware configuration.
Is everything on one machine or are Linux and
NO on separate machines?

> Every thing works beautifully, except that the
> client is seeing its own screen instead of the server.

Are you starting a GUI before the VNC server is
running?  The tightvncserver can run without a
GUI present.  Once tightvncserver is running, the
VNC client can start.  You will then have just
one GUI provided through VNC.

> Since you've got a 'server connected to the inet'
> whereas I get a different/dynamic IP from the ISP
> ever time that I dial up ...

Through DHCP my ISP assigns a dynamic address
to Joule also.

A system can have more than one address.  For
local use, /etc/hosts should give the system
one of the private network addresses.  Ref.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
You can then address 192.168.1.2 for example.
That is exactly what happens in my servers.

> ... can you run a linux-vnc-
> server and mail me the details to connect via
> my linux-NO-client ?

Currently my firewalls block that.  For
troubleshooting your VNC connection, the
points above will be more helpful.

Regards,          ... Peter E.

--
http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/