[Oberon] Re (3): persistence-across-reboot

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 14 03:05:55 MEST 2010

From:	Jack Johnson <knap... at gmail.com>
Date:	Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:23:12 -0800
> I've often thought that as traditional storage approaches access times
> of RAM from a decade or two ago, why wouldn't we start designing more
> operating systems to assume 200 GB or so of persistent state?

All the non-volatile storage I've heard of organizes
data as files in a filesystem.  Does anyone sell
flash memory which is accessed by an address just
as RAM is?  Really the traditional filesystem should
be obsolete and used only for legacy data.

Regards,            ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop".
In ETHNO click here -> Desktops.OpenDoc "http://carnot.yi.org/".