[Oberon] open array usage

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sun Jul 11 03:25:46 MEST 2010

In reading the compiler and system source, I have seen statements of the form

  InitStruct (s1, "this", 42, "that");
  InitStruct (s2, "another", 43, "item");
  InitStruct (s3, "more", 44, "again")

The compiler takes all the parameters and stuffs them into constants.
A few instructions are used to build the stack and call the procedure.
 The source reads fairly well, although the calls to InitStruct are
typically at the end of the source, not at the beginning in a Const
section.

Of course, these are not open arrays.  The sources I have read seem to
like fixed size structures.

A library that uses an open array could be encapsulated by a fixed
array Initialization procedure for a particular client.

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Chris Burrows <chris at cfbsoftware.com> wrote:

>>Sorry for coming back to the topic, but I still cannot figure
>>out how open arrays are supposed to be used in Oberon, without
>>any form of literal notation.
>>

> There was a lengthy discussion on this topic in the comp.lang.oberon Usenet
> newsgroup on Jun 25th 2010 with the subject title "Constant arrays". If you
> do not have direct access to the Usenet groups you can access them via
> Google Groups:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.oberon/topics
>
> Regards,
> Chris
>
> --
> Chris Burrows
> CFB Software
>
> Astrobe: ARM Oberon-07 Development System
> http://www.astrobe.com

Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723-1814