Re (2): [Oberon] Copying files

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 16 00:17:55 MEST 2010

Duke,

> What do you mean by "the first part"? The Partition designation - like
> SYS: or MY: ?

Yes.  My drive is partitioned into three parts.
The partitions don't have names.  The parts are
MY, SYS and C.  MY is the working part which takes
first priority.  SYS is the system part which
holds the Oberon system.  C is a FAT part.
Your house might have study, bathroom, bedroom
but most walls are not named.

> By default the first part is unnecessary in a file name.  Any
> other part must be explicit.

In my system, Fileblah always means MY:Fileblah.
"MY:" is redundant.  SYS: and C: are never redundant.
If I want SYS:Fileblah or C:Fileblah the SYS: and C:
are essential.  Of course, 6 priorities are possible.
MY C SYS
MY SYS C
C MY SYS
C SYS MY
SYS C MY
SYS MY C
Users rarely put SYS first.

Most users take these details for granted.  As I
recall, multi-part drive useage was introduced after
Reiser's book.  Might be mentioned in the ETH Web
pages; perhaps not.  Should be documented really.

Regards,        ... Peter E.

--
VoIP 7785886232 is being cancelled.  Please use 13604502132.
Sparcstation 2 netboots netbsd; SCSI disks are being arranged.