[Oberon] Anybody using the XDS Oberon Compiler?

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Mon Sep 20 07:05:28 MEST 2010

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010, Chris Burrows wrote:

> >[mailto:oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Duke Normandin
> >
> >I was installing a few stand-alone Pascal, Modula and Oberon
> >compilers this week-end, including the XDS "bilingual" compiler.
> >
> >I may be wrong, but it appears that maybe the XDS compiler
> >does not support file I/O - as per their website's
> >"Unimplemented Oakwood libraries".  Can someone confirm that
> >this is correct? Is this compiler "lame" until its purchased?
> >Just curious....
> >

> As far as I know
>
> a) you can do file I/O in XDS

Alexander I. set me straight on _that_ score. Streams and channels...

> b) the free versions are the only available versions

and on that point as well..

> I'm not aware of *any* Oberon system that fully conforms with the
> Oakwood guidelines so you don't need to be too concerned if they
> haven't implemented the libraries.

POW!

> However, you are more likely to find somebody who really knows on
> the XDS forum:

http://www.excelsior-usa.com/forum/

I'll be joining it or the mailing list after I play with XDS a
bit. I'm like a kid in a candy shop now - I've got too may
Pascal-family languages to test-drive. :)

Thanks for the input.
--
Duke