[Oberon] Modula2 vs Oberon IMPORT

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Sat Jan 8 05:28:12 CET 2011

The IMPORT does indeed specify the entire module in Oberon.

When Modula-2 was the state of the art, I only became aware of 1
compiler that imported individual procedures, the other
compiler/linker technologies imported the entire module.  The change
made programs more readable.

If you have the sources, you can make custom versions if you work in
some environment where resources are that tight.  However, Oberon
programs are very light compared to their competitors, so this might
be a red herring.

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl at ml1.net> wrote:
> Happy New Year Everybody!
>
> I see that in Modula only the required procedures are IMPORTed, like:
>
> FROM STextIO IMPORT WriteString, WriteLn;
>
> Conversely, in Oberon, the whole Module has to be IMPORTed in order to
> get to use the equivalent procedures.
>
> It would seem to me that Oberon "programs" would be that much more
> "bloated" with unnecessary code. Am I correct in this conclusion? Is
> there a way to selectively IMPORT procedures in Oberon? It doesn't
> appear to me to be possible.
> --
> Duke

Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.