[Oberon] Forth and Pberon

greim greim at schleibinger.com
Thu Jun 9 12:30:49 CEST 2011

> Today's Topics:
>
>     1. Re: FORTH (erikc)

> Message: 1
>
> No.  But this might be helpful if you are willing to translate from C.
>
> http://ficl.sourceforge.net/ficl.html
>
> erikc

There is another C-one

http://sourceforge.net/projects/fork001/

using only 12 (!) assembler commands afaik.

First i sent the original question to Mr. Sedlacek, he posted it here,
so here my 5 cents:

The idea behind was not only to write a Forth interpreter in Oberon,
but to use Forth as intermediate assembler. As at the Oberon day some
suggested for example a P-code interpreter or similar.

Mr Ertl published some years ago (1997) a paper for an Oberon Forth parser:
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/papers/ertl97.ps.gz

There are some Forth processors for FPGAs  around.
http://www.ultratechnology.com/4thvhdl.htm

For the Propeller parallel processor there is a Forth available

http://code.google.com/p/propforth/

and even Chuck Moore the inventor of Forth is no selling a processor
http://greenarraychips.com/
with 144 cores each running a forth interpreter.

Other Forth interpreters are also commercial available for several
embedded systems. for example

http://www.forth.com/swiftforth/

I know that at the ETH a parallel Oberon on FPGA project is running for
directly generating VHDL from an High Level Oberon Style language.

But maybe a Forth generator as intermediate step will make things less
complicate. And as resumee of the Oberon Day 2011, i for mee learned,
that we need the most simply tools with clear and straight forward
interfaces to solve the "software crisis".

Kind Regards

Markus Greim