[Oberon] Oberon Day 2011 Recordings (Jack Johnson)

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Tue Dec 6 16:46:30 CET 2011

Jack Johnson wrote:
> I just came across the Raspberry Pi project:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/28/raspberry_pi/
>
> Because so much of the system is integrated, it might be less easy to
> understand, but at that price point it's intriguing to consider having
> a(nother) platform with that kind of ubiquity that would be a good
> alternative host.
>
> Have you seen the hardware or the project yet? What are your thoughts?

Yes I've been watching this closely, especially because I cut my teeth on
the Acorn Atom and BBC Model A and B, and agree with the motivation behind
the project.  (Showing my age now.)

Of course, because the Raspberry Pi is (sensibly) aimed at Linux, it is
far more powerful (and as you say, complicated) than is needed for Oberon.
And it's actually worse than that, because Mr. Upton works for Broadcom so
he has access to more details of the SoC used in the system than we'll
ever know.

OTOH, it's getting close now to being able to produce an FPGA-based system
for around that price-point...

Paul