[Oberon] Re (2): Mail.GetUIDLs

peasthope at shaw.ca peasthope at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 19 20:02:56 CET 2012

From:	Alexander Iljin <ajsoft at yandex.ru>
Date:	Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:08:46 +0400
>   The anonymous file will be garbage-collected at a later time.

Garbage collection for direct access memory is mentioned often.
Is "garbage collect" the right term for this salvaging of a disused
anonymous file?

From:	<Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net>
Date:	Wed, 18 Jan 2012 01:16:06 -0600
> A Text is not a sequence of bytes. ... It is a sequence of "Runs" where each
> run has attributes such as font, color, length, ...

So far, so good.

> ... and a source file and the starting position.

I'll have to review that in the Oberon System book.  Conceptually
I don't understand why a Text should be attached to a file.  What
if a Text is created in memory and never read from or written to a file?

>  In this code snippet, the new anonymous file is created to fill that role.

With no offense intended, what role?  What is the need or benefit?

Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 6:38 PM, <peasthope at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > I'm working on a problem with POP mail retrieval which surfaced during
> > the weekend.

The problem was merely a redundant blank character emitted in ETHNO POP3.
Now fixed and documented here, second paragraph.
Desktops.OpenDoc "http://142.103.107.138/OberonPage.html#Mail"

Thanks Alexander and Aubrey for the discussion,         ... Peter E.

>--
Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  bcc: peasthope ... shaw.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/"
"http://members.shaw.ca/peasthope/index.html#Itinerary"