[Oberon] RISC / Can ETHO be ported to ARM?

Peter Matthias PeterMatthias at web.de
Fri Nov 2 14:48:06 CET 2012

Am Freitag, 2. November 2012, 13:29:15 schrieb Paul Reed:

> Prof. Wirth's RISC processor has a full 32-bit address space.  It's just
> that the Xilinx/Digilent Spartan-3 Starter FPGA board we are using happens
> to have 1MB RAM.

Nonetheless, it will be difficult for users to get more memory (and graphics
output).

> BTW anyone who thinks that 1MB is not a lot of memory probably doesn't
> belong on this list ;-)  Also you might upset many embedded programmers,
> who still *dream* of having 1MB RAM! :)

Hey, even my first Oberon Computer hat 1MB for graphics alone ;-) and 16MB of
RAM.

> > Personally I would like to see an Oberon like system on the Raspberry Pi.
> > will check for a compiler. However, if I do it, it would be a fun project
>
> It's fun until you try to implement USB, which is necessary for the
> keyboard and mouse

If you knew me, you would know that I prefer running Oberon on the bare Linux
kernel ;-) It makes no sense to re-invent the driver wheels. I ported Native
Oberon to the Linux Kernel years ago.

> (I have GPIO and framebuffer working nicely in Oberon,
> didn't take too long).

So effectively you have Oberon running on the Pi? I would be very interested to
get the sources.

Regards,
	Peter