[Oberon] Active objects

Felix Friedrich felix.friedrich at inf.ethz.ch
Fri Dec 7 08:59:05 CET 2012

> I tried it!  Everything I touched in it seemed to be broken, or
> half-done half-baked.
>
> The web browser was painfully slow, etc etc
>
> It a nice toy, IMHO, that`s it! that`s all!

Duke,

you should not forget that A2, or AOS as it was called previously, was a
research OS in the first place. A2, running on Active Oberon, features
multi-threaded (multi-core / multi-processor) applications.  The kernel
is as small as can be for a multi-core environment. No heavyweight
processes, only fast context switches etc.

Things have progressed meanwhile. A2 and Active Oberon (and the newest
programming model successor in use for software-hardware co-design
called "Active Cells" ) are in use now in both, education and industry.

You are right about the web-server. It is neither particularly fast, nor
is it maintained. I never use it.

I will neither try to defend A2 or Active Oberon here, nor will I try to
persuade anyone to using it. Enough things to do on the forefront and
too little time for service.

Regards
Felix