[Oberon] Is Oberon website being updated?

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Fri Dec 14 21:24:39 CET 2012

Just now, I did this:

1.  I logged into Ubuntu 12.4 (Precise Pangolin) in an Oracle VM VirtualBox
virtual machine.  It should not matter what the host machine is for this.

2.  I have checked that all the updates are applied to my Ubuntu
environment.

3.  I am running Wine to emulate the windows environment on the Ubuntu
system.

4.  I downloaded
ftp://ftp.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/Oberon/Windows/win95-NT/System.EXE

This is V4 Oberon, but it is probably a little different from the ETH
version.  I think the files date to 1995.  This is what I use whenever I
"just need to get something done."  It will often run from a CD or a USB
stick without any system modifications being made, if the windows
environment you are on at a library or a customer site will let you execute
your own choice of program.  The startup time is a few seconds.  This is
incredibly useful.

For my own installation, I have made some modifications to File(s).Mod to
support an ISO-9660 file system on CD.  My test just now was for the
unchanged, as distributed by Linz version of V4.

5.  I ran System.EXE in the Ubuntu + Wine environment.

6.  I opened the resulting directory, and executed oberon.exe

In particular, the first line gives instructions to use Documents.Open
Mouse.Text,
in addition, Documents.Open Welcome.Text is also visible in the opening
screen.

These two documents anchor all the documentation.  If you read them and
links inside them, you have a fully usable, powerful, still very modern
system available.

The V4 environment that I am familiar with appeared.  I am very familiar
with Kepler, so as a simplistic test I opened a Kepler document and made a
few drawings.  I think this is a fairly deep test.  The environment seemed
responsive enough, even though other programs are running on the machine
that is hosting the Ubuntu virtual machine.

7.  In particular, much of the expressiveness of the 3 button interclick
environment is there.  I am around 20 years into using this interface, and
things happen as fast as I will them to.  I can't imagine wanting to ever
use a different interface, now that I am fluent in this one.

8.  One or two things did not work as expected.

I could not mark a viewer causing the * marker to appear using the esc key.
 Somewhere in all the layers of emulators that gets lost.
I compiled a tiny module, and Browser.ShowDef ^ did work.  Browser.ShowObj
^ did not work.
System.Directory * did open a viewer, and some entries were ..\*  Those
entries should be "hot" and open a new viewer when I MM on them.  This did
not happen.  This is probably a problem with the "/" and "\" separators and
the layers of emulation.

I was able to select a subdirectory designation and execute
System.Directory ^ successfully.

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:12 AM, Srinivas Nayak
<sinu.nayak2001 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Almost all Oberonpages of ETH Zurich's website says, it is being updated.
> Example http://www.oberon.ethz.ch/systems/index
> Is it really coming with a new face?
> When can we expect it to come?
>
> With thanks and best regards,