[Oberon] Current Oberon System

Oleg N. Cher allot at bk.ru
Mon Dec 17 17:20:15 CET 2012

Dear Oberon users,

Les May wrote:

> I understand the nostalgia for a time when computing was simpler and
> memory was measure in kilobytes not gigabytes but unless standalone
> compilers are developed for other operating systems I do not see any
> substantial number of new users being attracted to Oberon.

Let me say a word of the man who claims to be part of your community.
Although I do not use the Oberon systems, but I like the language Oberon
and I use it in my activities.

Your statement can be extended to - is now possible to develop for
non-Oberon systems and the popular mainstream platforms in Oberon? My
answer is - yes, it is. Here we come up against is not a mystical lack
of Oberon compilers.

Here is Ulm Oberon for Linux - http://www.mathematik.uni-ulm.de/oberon/

Here are XDS (Modula-2/Oberon-2 compiler for Win32/Linux x86) and OPCL
(ETH Oberon Compiler and Linker for Win32 Command Line) -
https://sourceforge.net/projects/opcl/

Here are two Oberon-2 to C translators - Ofront (now available under BSD
license) and OOC.

Finally there are BalckBox Component Builder (Win32) and Gardens Point
Component Pascal (.NET/JVM).

If I like the develop my solutions in Oberon, Oberon-2 or Component
Pascal, I found suitable development tools, compilers and translators,
for example here are my projects:

The crossplatform tool for Win32/64, Linux x86-32/x86-64, etc:
https://github.com/Oleg-N-Cher/MakeZX/
Written in Oberon-2 and translated to C by Ofront.

Java microedition midlet - Boulder Dash-like game:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bolderdash/
https://github.com/Oleg-N-Cher/Dash/
Written in Component Pascal and translated to Java .class-es by GPCP.

Here is Chris Burrows in this list. He develop in GPCP for .NET.

Of course, the popularity of these tools is not too big, but this case
looks not so bad, agree.

--
Oleg N. Cher
VEDAsoft Oberon Club