[Oberon] Current Oberon System

Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net Aubrey.McIntosh at Alumni.UTexas.Net
Fri Dec 21 00:54:59 CET 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM, <chris at gcjd.de-web.ws> wrote:

> Treutwein Bernhard wrote:
> >It compiles Oberon-2 to C (in a difficult form) and from there
> >to object code. I think it would be very interesting to modify
> >its front end to go directly to gcc's intermediate code the
> >register transfer language (RTL) and to integrate it completely
> >into the compiler collection as has been done for Modula-2 by
> >Gaius Mulley.
>
> I would recommend aagainst this way unless you are experienced with gcc
> internals already. ;-)
>

> Probably easier to handle is llvm (llvm.org) which has a well defined
> SSA intermediate language <http://llvm.org/docs/LangRef.html> which is
> somewhat stable over the years.

lcc is a retargetable ANSI C compiler.  There is a book that describes
every line of code, the source is on the net, and there is an active
community making various back ends.  The book and source appear to be
designed and cleanly written.  I don't know how it compares to other C
front ends

--
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
211 E. 5th St.