[Oberon] Doubt from Project Oberon book.

Bob Walkden bob at web-options.com
Sun Dec 23 09:40:48 CET 2012

He is describing some ways in which different software components can
communicate with each other.

In a system such as Unix, you execute a command by typing its name and
parameter list at the command line, and pressing <Enter>. The command can
pipe its result to another command, which is executed immediately after the
first command. On completion of a command it is unloaded from memory and the
contents of its variables are lost. If you want to use the command's results
later, ie not immediately after you have executed the command, then you have
to store the results in a file.

Oberon commands do not come with a built-in pipe mechanism. However, Oberon
modules are not automatically unloaded following execution - they remain
resident in memory until you unload them explicitly, so the contents of
their variables are still available and other modules can use them, either
as global variables or by calling one of the module's procedures. This means
that you don't have to use pipes / files to communicate between modules.

Of course if you want to retain the values between system restarts you do
have to store them in files.