[Oberon] The Oberon answer to Arduino

Arnim Littek arnim at actrix.gen.nz
Wed Dec 26 00:55:27 CET 2012

Interesting thread.  I've been lurking on the Oberon list for years - this is
the first to elicit a response.

What makes Oberon attractive?  The ability to go to high level programming
with less fuss and code infrastructure than most languages.  The fact that it
can be taken to low levels is also particularly attractive to the kinds of
folk interested in Arduinos and PICs.

Some Arduinos are built on interesting micros, all Arduinos are built on
micros better than the 8-bit PICs, which are IMHO relics of the past that
belong in a museum.  (Unfortunately I have to work with them professionally -
cough cough)

However, the PIC32 on the MIPS architecture is likely to be a completely
different beast - I've looked at it for a long time without finding reason to go
there, because the PIC32 engines don't do low power all that well (yet?).  I
do like MIPS, and think that would be in some senses, esp. in terms of
teaching, a better platform than the low power ARM micros in the same space.

MIPS support is wider than Microchip, fortunately.  Making a decent compiler
for MIPS is realistic, and adding Oberon to the list could be a good thing for
many people, including those of us on this list with an embedded slant.

Arnim