[Oberon] Oberon-2 cross compiler source for INMOS T800 Transputer available now (OP2/V4)

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 19:04:50 CET 2013

I don't appreciate 'these-days-twitter-style' minimal content burps.
So here is some contents:-
ETHO is much less about the language, than the unsurpassed total OS, where you
see everytihing on the single screen, without the need to bob-yo-head upNdown
between keybrd & screen.

LinuxEthOberon builds on this to newly discovered extremes.
My original 40GB IDE for ETHO from the 90s started failing; and I have some
valuable legal files on some of the 48 partitions.

LNO can read these, on the same PC that's running Linux for other tasks.
LEO is more convenient/versatile than LNO, but I was astounded that LEO
can ALSO read the AosFS partitions of old:nativeOberon.

It doesn't directly fetch and display file contents.
But you can: from linux -> running LEO -> run any *nix command.
And of course the *nix command repetoire is massive.

This is linux leveraging LEO leveraging Linux!

So with 'try' being a symbolic-link to an AosFS partition on the
old NativeOberon disk something like:
 read the whole NO partition &
 delete all non-ascii-chars &
 fold the lines < 80-char-len &
 print all lines to a file, which contain the critical name that we're
searching;
allows you to search the whole partition, and extract the critical text.

Previously I remember examining the AosFS structure.
IIRC Partitions.Mod has got nice clear code, and it's not difficult to extract
the dir & file structure. So the actual files could perhaps be accessed.
I wonder what would happen by 'porting' Partitions.Mode to LEO?
--- Here's actual logged code and results including my errors:--
>> -> System.Execute cat try | tr -d \\200-\\377 | hexdump -C | head
>> == looks OK. So count lines containing "Heus". Let's see line-count ?
>>
>> -> System.Execute cat try | tr -d \\200-\\377 | fmt | grep Heus | wc -l
>> ==1 <- ! I can see *MANY* "Heus" in many of the different 'folded' lines!
>>
>> -> System.Execute cat try | tr -d \\200-\\377 | fmt | wc
>> == 1000653 9864738 72189840 <- 100Klines for 72MB
>>
>> What am I doing wrong, to fail to `grep <all lines containing "Heus">?
>
> Your 'tr' command is leaving behind a lot of non-printing characters in
> the \000 to \037 range, which is going to cause 'grep' to report
> "non-ASCII" and may be seriously confusing the 'fmt' command.  You do
> need to preserve formatting characters such as \n, \t, \r, but you should
> delete the others.  Try this:
>
>      tr -d \\000-\\007\\016-\\037\\177-\\377
>
> That leaves the just the range \010 (BS) through \015 (CR) and the
> ASCII characters \040 (SPACE) through \176 (~).

OK, afterwards I thought of the (chars < Octal_37), like <bell>.
I'll test and file-away your tr-version.
Perhaps `strings` is appropriate.
---- end of USEnet query:-------------

For non*nix users:
   cat try | tr -d \\200-\\377 | fmt | grep Heus | wc -l
means: output file:try [the whole partition] &
    delete all chars between Octal(200...377) &
    use the `format` filter to <clean up> the lines of text &
    output only lines containing "Heus" &
    count and list newline, word, and byte of previous stage.

So with LEO, you get the superb HCI of ETHO, PLUS the massive facilities of
the *nix industry.

== Chris Glur.

Did I mention that it's free?
Provided you can detach yourself from the herd....