[Oberon] Project Oberon: New Edition

Claudio Nieder private at claudio.ch
Mon Dec 23 01:13:21 CET 2013

Hi,

> Why spend thousands of hours in trying to duplicate a backdated Ceres
> station in an FPGA board and being stranded on a deserted island in an

Different people have different interest in Oberon. Wirth alway had both the interest to show and teach compiler construction using a simple CPU as an example shown the first time in his compiler construction book of 1977 as well as applying the keep it simple principle in design of CPU and in the interaction of compiler and CPU as seen in the Lilith project of 1980. So from his point of view it makes perfectly sense to implement his own CPU design in FPGA.

> an ASrock ITX board, install one textmode Linux (Slackware 14.1 x64
> would be fine) and make (Native) Oberon run as an SVGAlib application.

This already exists. In my previous mail I mentioned Oberon V4 which exists besides others also for Linux x86 systems, but also System3, which as far as I know is the basis of Native Oberon, exists in a non-native version using e.g. Linux as base though not using SVGAlib but rather X11 to drive the display. Find it here: http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~fld/

> In effect, one would need an Oberon0 compiler for Linux and then the
> system should be runnable.

This contains a full Oberon-2 compiler besides the whole Oberon System3 Operating System.

claudio
--
Claudio Nieder, Talweg 6, CH-8610 Uster, Tel +4179 357 6743, www.claudio.ch