[Oberon] Active Cells

Felix Friedrich felix.friedrich at inf.ethz.ch
Sun Dec 29 00:03:34 CET 2013

Dear all,
since there is some discussion ongoing on this list regarding
translation of Oberon to VHDL / Verilog, I would like to point out that
we at ETH do already since some years now focus on software-hardware
co-design with a programming model derived from Oberon / Active Oberon
that we call "Active Cells". We added to the concept of modules and
(active) objects the concept of so called cells, separate components
that are mapped to processors in a distributed system on chip on an
FPGA. Hardware can be built from high level programs "on button push".
As one of many consequences the notion of an Operating System nearly
vanishes. No interrupts, no scheduling overhead since there is one
processor core per task allocated; no shared memory, etc. The Fox Oberon
compiler tool-chain has been extended in order to support hardware
generation via Verilog. Off-the shelf commercial tools are used for the
synthesis part.

An early paper can be downloaded from
http://www.nativesystems.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Main/FelixFriedrichPublications/ActiveCells.pdf,
more recent results can be inferred from the slides of a recent workshop
on
http://www-oldurls.inf.ethz.ch/personal/felixf/WorkshopTajpeh/SystemsOnChipWorkshopFriedrich.pdf.

Let me please also note that we are working on graphical support for the
tools and many more interesting things to come. The toolchain is under
active development at ETH Zurich and Uni Basel. It has proven its
usefulness also in the commercial setup. It is needless to say that
Prof. Wirth's work on FPGA processor design, compiler construction,
language design (etc.) was very influential for this work.

Felix