[Oberon] Active Cells

Douglas G. Danforth danforth at greenwoodfarm.com
Mon Dec 30 02:55:40 CET 2013

Evidence that birds can form abstract concepts such as /same v.
different/ has been provided by Alex
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_%28parrot%29>, the African Grey
Parrot <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_Grey_Parrot>. Alex was
trained by animal psychologist Irene Pepperberg
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irene_Pepperberg> to vocally label more
than 100 objects of different colors and shapes and which are made from
different materials. Alex could also request or refuse these objects ('I
want X') and quantify numbers of them.^[26]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_intelligence#cite_note-26>

Macaws have been demonstrated to comprehend the concept of "left" and
"right." ^[27]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_intelligence#cite_note-27> ^[28]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_intelligence#cite_note-28>

I believe some birds exceed the capabilities of humans with regard to
counting.  Twelve is the
number I remember for some birds.