[Oberon] FPGA Oberon some news and a reply to F.P.

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Wed Mar 5 11:06:56 CET 2014

Jörg Straube wrote:
> http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/FPGA-relatedWork/RISC-Arch.pdf

Although I'm a big fan of Prof Wirth, after reading the PDF I must say
he is losing his touch. He invents a brandnew CPU and comes up with the
most traditional old fashioned, nostalgic kind of mnemonics. Easlab
yesterday showed his own efforst from decades ago, with

#N -> Ra

which is almost symbolical notation, Niklaus still comes up with three
letter words like MOV, FAD, FSB (precursor of KGB?) and FML. Why? This
is a major opportunity missed.

And look at FML a, b, c: It seems to resemble R.a := R.a x R.c, but
where's the b factor?
Same goes for MUL a, b, n.

Three letter abbreviations are soooo 1978. And we definitely live in 19114.
It feels like looking at 6502 sourcecode.

--
Groetjes

Jan Verhoeven