[Oberon] FPGA Oberon some news and a reply to F.P.

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Wed Mar 5 16:14:59 CET 2014

Jan

You are right the 6502 was a RISC processor. The chips evolved to CISC (most
probably an error) and tend to return to RISC now (okay, nowadays highly
parallelized but more RISC than CISC).

Wirth's processor illustrates the features a CPU needs:
- starting with a basic "Von Neumann architecture"
  (allowing for JIT compilers not possible with a "pure Harvard
architecture")
- adding indirect addressing
- adding memory mapped IO

But you are right the "Von Neumann bottleneck" is not covered. E.g. modern
processors have instruction cache and branch predictors to alleviate this
bottleneck a little bit.

But who knows: Wirth started with RISCO0, is now at RISC5. Perhaps an
upcoming RISC6 will introduce instruction cache making it a modern "modified
Harvard architecture".

br
Jörg