[Oberon] RISC emulator

Jörg Straube joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Mar 18 10:11:39 CET 2014

Hi
After some thought I'm not so sure if the "international Project Oberon" should really be able to hold ALL Unicode characters, so ALL 17 planes. I think we can limit to plane 0, namely BMP.
I'm now rather in favor of the following scheme:
- Redefine CHAR as a type occupying TWO bytes.
- Use internally the UCS-2 coding (almost identical to UTF-16 but restricted to plane 0)
- If you write text to files use UTF-8 coding.

On the other hand, knowing that the Oberon fonts do only support a very limited set of additional latin letters, the whole UCS-2 coding is a little overkill. We could easily go with Unicode but restrict the code points to one byte. We could call that coding  "reduced ISO-8859-1" :-)

br, Jörg