[Oberon] Oberon on the Raspberry Pi

Paul Onyschuk blink at bojary.koba.pl
Fri Apr 11 14:10:06 CEST 2014

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:22:10 +0200
eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so rPi's linux should deliver the <mouse events> to SDL,
> independent or the hardware origin of such events?
> Is it just a coincidence that SDL2 has several ps2 files and no <usb>?

As far I know SDL is speaking with Xorg on Linux, Cocoa on Mac OSX and
Windows API depending on platform.  It is intended as portable library
as such and doesn't know much about underlining hardware.

About PS/2 files, do you mean emulator source code?  Project Oberon
works on FPGA, where keyboard/mouse is connected via PS/2.  Emulator
captures mouse/keyboard events abstracted by SDL and translates them to
PS/2 interrupts that Project Oberon understands.  It should look
similar to that:

  USB keyboard -> Xorg -> SDL2 -> emulator -> PS/2 -> Oberon

You shouldn't concern yourself with left side (it can be even Bluetooth
keyboard or your cellphone used as such keyboard) and PS/2 references in
source code are related to what Project Oberon is expecting and nothing
else.

> IMO screen input would also be 'abstracted' to the same key/mouse
> input?

Text input on Android/iPhone is very different beast.  Words can be
entered at the time, not only characters (think dictionaries and so on).
You can use voice input on those devices to enter text, which
complicates matters.  SDL provides naive functions that can translate
text input to keyboard events, but this is out of scope, when it comes
to your problems.

--
Paul Onyschuk