[Oberon] FP

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Apr 15 16:16:55 CEST 2014

IBM
> got it wrong at one point [1] - serious issues with precision related to
> their model.  Guess this is best explanation why floating point numbers
from
> RISC Oberon were modeled after IEEE.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Floating_Point_Architecture

If you want to delve even deeper read "What Every Computer Scientist Should
Know About Floating-Point Arithmetic" by David Goldberg:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19957-01/806-3568/ncg_goldberg.html

He explains some of the reasons why the IEEE format was designed the way it
was in the sections following the heading "The IEEE Standard",

Regards,
Chris