[Oberon] ThisCommand, semi missing

Jan Verhoeven jan at verhoeven272.nl
Wed Apr 16 01:45:32 CEST 2014

Paul Onyschuk wrote:
> Oberon-07 doesn't allow multiple exit point out of function. This
> means that there can be only one RETURN in procedure, it isn't a
> statement any longer, instead it is a clause (hence it doesn't need
> semicolon).

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/Oberon07.pdf

This sounds like Oberon-7 was created by a political committee of the
European Union.

LOOP/END gone. Multiple RETURNs gone. Silly WHILE/ELSIF construct. CAP,
HALT, MIN, MAX gone. WITH gone. Programming used to be about Freedom, in
order to create software that is as good as can be.Now it needs to be as
good as can be with a crippled language.

When a C programmer has the choice to go for Oberon-7 he will stick to C
since Oberon-7 is way too restrictive. It's almost pedantic.
Due to its strong TYPE checking, Oberon already was restrictive to the
Portable Assembler guys. Yes, with a purpose, I know. But with the new
rules Oberon-7 has put itself outside the arena of serious languages. It
is over-structured.

--
Groetjes

Jan Verhoeven