[Oberon] more attention and a larger community?

volkert at nivoba.de volkert at nivoba.de
Sun May 4 17:37:21 CEST 2014

Am 04.05.2014 15:34, schrieb greim:
> Regarding Volkerts suggestions:
>
>> Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 10:20:21 +0200
>> From: "volkert at nivoba.de" <volkert at nivoba.de>
>> Subject: Re: [Oberon] Project Oberon: What are nexts steps?
>> To: ETH Oberon and related systems <oberon at lists.inf.ethz.ch>
>>
>> My addition: For me the top issue is how to get more attention and a larger community?
>>
>> Here are my ideas:
>>
>> - a ?Project Oberon Manifesto?: Goals, principles, values, ...
>> - an easy to get and ready to use ?Oberon Starter Kit? (FPGA System and Emulation-System)
>> - some essiantial howto's, beginner tutorials
>> - an ?Oberon lesson plan? to help studing the ?System Oberon System?
>> - some nice showcases (community projects, nice pictures, ...)
>> - documentation (all the NW Books are perfect here)
>> - some kind of ?Project Oberon Board? to create a vision, make decisions about future directions (f.e. move to a new fpga-board, target plattforms, usb-support, color support, ...)
>> - a product backlog and roadmap for the next 3-5 years
>> - a bounty scheme to sponsor fixes and future developments
>> - open and transparent development
>> - one stop shop for ?Project Oberon? (news, blogs, download, development, community, )
>> - ?
>>
>> Stupid ideas?
> I absolute agree.
>
> BUT first i think its important to clarify the license question. For me
> its still not clear what the license for Wirths and Gutknechts Oberon
> is. The same story with Paul Reeds Verilog code.
> Wirth said, as far as i understood, its free. But what is free?
> Free to copy, free to use in a non commercial project, free to change
> it.....
> So maybe Wirth, Gutknecht and Reed should give a statement if their code
> is free under the MIT license or GPL or any other common model.
> I would prefer MIT but GPL would be ok for me too.
yes, this question is essential. without an liberal license
"ProjectOberon" is lost.

> - the best way to make the project Oberon more popular
> would be an article in the Elektor, c't or Circuit Cellar or any similar
> magazine. For this, not only the FPGA board, but also a practical
> application should be shown. With Prof. Wirth as author / co-author it
> should be no problem to get some pages in the c't (circulation of 250.000+ )
good idea, i would help to write an article for the c't. even the
current status
of the project should be interessting.

> - but before, as most important task, we should implement a SD-RAM
> interface in the Verilog code. Otherwise the "deprecated Spartan-3
> board" story will come up and up again. (maybe i will try it in the next
> months)
there should be a plan for the next step. i would support such a project.

> - All this ProjectOberon, ETHOberon, NativeOberon, Aos, Bluebottle,
> NativeOberon etc. its extreme confusing.
> So i would suggest to change the name of the project from ProjectOberon
> to FPGAOberon or FPGAProjectOberon or so. The real highlight of this
> project is FPGA+Oberon. That make it total different from RaspberryPi,
> Arduinio, BeagleBoard etc.
it is confusing. currently i see only "ProjectOberon 2013" and "Aos"
with some life. I would prefer to keep
to name "ProjectOberon" and it should support two platforms: FPGA and a
Emulation/VirtualMachine.

A reactivation of ETHOberon would also be nice. Maybe "ProjectOberon"
and some of the "ETHOberon" work
can be merged into one "System Oberon" some day (when ProjectOberon has
cought up). But i am not
sure, what here makes sense.

> By the way, i will publish a Free-Pascal translation of Peter de
> Wachters RISC emulator in the next days.... after i have done a lot of
> housekeeping in my source code ;-), or, as NW said on his birthday
> conference (topic 3 on the last slide): "...Writing a Publishable
> Program is Exacting!.."
Interesseting. But why not support Peters work?

BW,
Volkert