[Oberon] The Oberon PC

greim greim at schleibinger.com
Sat May 10 16:37:10 CEST 2014

Hallo Volker, Dug and others..

>> Stepping way back, here is what I would like to have.
>> I would like to be able to walk into a store and buy a
>> PC that was solely Oberon based.  Cheap, fast, module
>> upgrades (e.g. slim binaries).

With FPGAOberon its not a dream at all.

Imagine a small stick / matchbox, 2 USB ports for the keyboard and the
mouse, one DVI port (HDMI is difficult regarding the license) and one SD
card slot and one Ethernet port.
The ideal thing would be one single 1 FPGA, but for the first try 1
FPGA, 2 FTDI or Cypress USB interfaces, and a little bit SRAM + a WizNet
chip for Ethernet or a WLAN chip for the network would be ok.

For Android and Linux such gadgets are already on the market.

So we should alway keep in mind and point out, that we can reconfigure
the complete computer by software: color instead of b/w, 2 RISC5
machines, FPU, RAM and/or file system encryption, flat display
interface, software defined radio (!) etc.

Regards

Markus Greim