[Oberon] The Oberon PC

Andreas Baumann abaumann at webware-experts.de
Sun May 11 12:34:53 CEST 2014

Hello Markus,

> The ideal thing would be one single 1 FPGA, but for the first try 1
> FPGA, 2 FTDI or Cypress USB interfaces, and a little bit SRAM + a WizNet
> chip for Ethernet or a WLAN chip for the network would be ok.

I think using a WizNet chip for Ethernet is a good idea related to the amount of work which could be invested in higher level implementation tasks.
I also thought about that related to some experiments with Cortex M3 systems using the astrobe  oberon compiler.

> So we should alway keep in mind and point out, that we can reconfigure
> the complete computer by software: color instead of b/w, 2 RISC5
> machines, FPU, RAM and/or file system encryption, flat display
> interface, software defined radio (!) etc.

Thats the really most interesting part for me.
IO interfaces which goes beyond normal PC interfaces are also important for me and I think this make it possible to acquire users from the maker scene.

Regards

Andreas