[Oberon] Nimrod is not Oberon

Stefan Salewski mail at ssalewski.de
Mon May 19 01:56:06 CEST 2014

Yes, I am still subscribed to this list...
And I noticed that "Oberon on FPGA" project, but have not read much
about it.

Recently, when I was looking about some news about Mozillas Rust
language, I discovered Nimrod, a language which looks similar to
Modula/Oberon, with some interesting new features.

Nimrod is not very popular now, some people simple do not like the
Wirthian style syntax. (And of course there are many other interesting
new languages available now, Mozillas Rust with C syntax, Julia for
numerical computing, Haskell -- not really new, but still modern...) But
maybe someone of you may be interested in Nimrod. Of course it is no
operating system, just a modern language. Keywords: Wirthian syntax,
with Python indentation, system- and high-level programming,
garbage-collector which still allows time critical applications,
advanced generics, templates, high-level macros. Good support for
parallel processing. Speed seems to be close to C. Currently Compiler
generates C intermediate code. Currently there is no wikipedia entry
(was rejected) so it is difficult to discover it. There was an article
in DrDobbs Journal recently, and of course there is a homepage with a
tutorial.

http://nimrod-lang.org/

http://www.drdobbs.com/open-source/nimrod-a-new-systems-programming-languag/240165321

Not a high rank at