[Oberon] Pitch from AST: Minix on Beagleboard

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 06:05:54 CEST 2014

What's the power consumption on these boards?
I've been well impressed by the rPi, as a potential replacement PC;
but my everyday use is as a sound-player for TextToSpeech [I don't read
big text any more; I lie down & have them read to me like a baby].

But rPi seems to use 100-times the power of the <Chinese button sized
audio player>, which doesn't allow me to 'mark' the files as <read,
to be repeated ...etc.>

I'm getting interested in investigating some potential Oberon7 based
projects/products [even if I'm forced to use M$loth tools].
But I didn't get good info from Astobe's URL.

Also it's been pointed out that full-linux on rPi is no good for
even-nearly real time. Often rPi just <takes a coffee-break for
a few seconds> perhaps it's doing a garbage collection.

OTOH probably MIMIX is much less of a hog?
But then the <simple single-loop concept> OS of ETHO is even better.
But, I'm wondering how/why LinuxBasedETHO hangs the pid if I send
a NNTP-post and the communication cuts before it returns.
Obviously, the <send procedure> of ETHO 'hold' the CPU, and the
published <round-robin task polling> is prevented.
LEO has a "threaded" version/capabilty, which I've never tested,
because I prefer KeepItSimple.

==Chris Glur.