[Oberon] Urgent help to recover ETHNO files.

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Fri Sep 19 18:19:15 CEST 2014

P.E. wrote:-
]These might help, for a start at least.
] http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/bootmbr.html
] http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/betadocu.html

Thanks. I was again impressed at the quality of ETHO's documentation;
and this key sentence avoided my simplistic experiment of just copying
a partition to a new location: sector-by-sector.
   It is important that the four bytes at offset 1CH in sector 0 designate
   the sector number of the boot sector. In the example: 40 23 03 00
   (reversed in little-endian order) -> 00032340H = 205632 decimal.

] Is the data human readable?  If so you can connect the hdd to a working
] system.  Then apply Partitions.PartitionToFile dev#part file [block blocks] ~.
]  Then use a text editor on file to sort your data.

But not for 'dev#part' after the break.
OTOH from LEO you can do:
 System.Execute dd if=/dev/hdb skip=<PartStartSctr+N> count=blocks | grep <key>
where <key> is that special TelephoneNumber you're seeking.
Unfortunately I needed to recover, the latest of a decade of archives.

It's more convenient to drive the *nix commands from LEO, than directly,
because you can keep a ETHO log in multicolors to handle the complexity,
of bit & byte & decimal manipulation.

Eventually I patched the ExtendedPartnTable #8 to jump over 9 [the dud] to 10.

Thanks,

== Chris Glur.