[Oberon] Real-time multitasking using interrupt handlers

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Oct 5 05:37:07 CEST 2014

On the contrary - the ARM Oberon compiler allows an Astrobe user to develop realtime multitasking software. E.g. an Astrobe program could 'simultaneously' take temperature / pressure/ acceleration / compass readings and log them to an SD Card and communicate 'at the same time' with another system over a serial RS232 or wireless network link.

In an ARM microcontroller program deevloped using Astrobe tasks are defined at the procedure level (using interrupt handlers) within a single application (process).  A hierarchical interrupt system determines which task should be started / restarted next. These tasks are initiated on demand by the microcontroller itself using a system of prioritised interrupts that is defined by the programmer.

This is different from application level (non-realtime) multitasking where each task is handled by a separate process  which is typically scheduled to run in a  time-slices under the control of an external operating system

Note that the use of procedures as interrupt handlers as implemented in the ARM Oberon compiler used in Astrobe is an extension to the Oberon Programming Language. For more information refer to Chapter 23 'Interrupt procedures' in the document 'An Oberon Compiler for the ARM Processor' by Niklaus Wirth:

http://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/

Regards,
Chris Burrows