[Oberon] A mythical man-year

skulski at pas.rochester.edu skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Oct 16 16:12:18 CEST 2014

Chris wrote:

"Due to its simplicity and orthogonality, each of the implementations
described here could be completed in a single man-year or less."

The mythical man-year has been mentioned more than once. I think this myth
has been debunked many times over, has it not?

Seriously, it would not be bad if the experts whom you mentioned supported
the community by putting back an Oberon-2 compiler that ran on RISC5. This
is all that is needed at this point.

There are a few more things that need to be done once the Oberon-2
foundation is laid down. These things are sort of obvious when we look at
riscv.org, Papilio, Pipistrello, Parallella, NetFPGA, etc. All these
communities are following similar paths. If our community wants to benefit
from the Oberon System, we need to do exactly the same. No need to
reinvent the wheel. The method to make the wheel spin is known from the
examples I mentioned, and from many others.

Wojtek

PS: I CC-ed Professor Wirth on this e-mail.