[Oberon] Hardware versus software development.

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Fri Oct 31 16:31:12 CET 2014

Hi Wojtek

I know. I had the following step-by-step approach in mind
1) - try to find another board, possibly with more memory for future use
   - port the Verilog code to the new board.
   - whole Oberon system stays untouched
2) introduce color
   - SW decision (Oberon)
     Assuming I have one bit per R-G-B: How do I represent the color in the
     framebuffer? RGB in 3 separate planes or RGB as 3 consecutive bits.
   - HW decision (Verlog)
     There, I have to decide with RISC5 or with RISC6.
     RISC5: I stay with 1 GB, I allocate more memory to video, and have less
       for code, heap and stack.
     RISC6: increase address bus by 1 and hence add another 1GB

Jörg