[Oberon] re. ALO query

eas lab lab.eas at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 20:00:09 CET 2015

> I saw a recent post of yours on the Oberon list, and I wondered if you
> might be able to lend me a hand: I am attempting to run Linux Oberon
> for ARM (ALO, Peter Matthias' release of late July of last year) on
> the Raspberry Pi B model.

I want to get a B too, or two.

>  Here's what I have done: I merely unzip
> the release to a folder, and copy this folder to a USB drive, and then
> mount this drive on the Raspberry Pi. The only file I can see that is
> executable in this folder is ALO.  But when I click on this to start
> it up, nothing happens.  What have you had to do in order to be able to
> run ALO on your system (I presume it's a Raspberry Pi also?)?

Has the new rPi's OS got facilities to 'click on executables'?

I DO remember that the executable-starter is named alo,
although you could rename it.

Have you tried the basic way?

Change to the relevant directory:
 cd <the directory>

Confirm that alo is there:
 ls -l alo
which will show that it's also got execute permission.
Here's 2; the 1st HAS got exection permission:
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root   root    2863 2014-05-22 10:13 CurlBodies
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root   19707 2014-09-08 19:36 Eml

While you're at that, do
 ls -l * | wc -l
to count the number of files, to see if it corresponds to my stuff,
which I'll check tomorrow.

You start it by:
./alo

Let's keep the project OPEN collaboration, by posting via the mail-list.

== Chris Glur.

PS. I just remembered something about <xhost ...> to <enable connection
via the X-system. I'll post details later.