[Oberon] License Question from Walter Gallegos (greim)

skulski at pas.rochester.edu skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Mon Jan 19 13:23:19 CET 2015

> BUT first i think its important to clarify the license question. For me
> its still not clear what the license for Wirths and Gutknechts Oberon
> is. The same story with Paul Reeds Verilog code.
> Wirth said, as far as i understood, its free. But what is free?
> Free to copy, free to use in a non commercial project, free to change
> it.....
> So maybe Wirth, Gutknecht and Reed should give a statement if their code
> is free under the MIT license or GPL or any other common model.
> I would prefer MIT but GPL would be ok for me too.

I posted the same question, with the same result as yours: complete silence.

Perhaps a good kind of license would be Creative Commons, like Texas
Instruments attached to their Beagle Bone?

Who can advise, which license would be the best for promoting Oberon?

Lack of any license can be taken as an indication that this is a textbook.
Professor Wirth always wanted to teach. The students are always free to
use the study materials any way they want. So maybe we are all just
Wirth's students and thus free to apply the study materials (that is, the
Oberon System) any way we want without furher questions?

Who can clarify the issue, if there is any issue?

Wojtek