[Oberon] oberonnet of things

Frans-Pieter Vonck fp at vonck.nl
Tue May 26 15:22:11 CEST 2015

Hello,

a few considerations.
I looked at the net module of project oberon.
Is it true that there is still no ethernet (tcp-ip) module written? I know
there is one in AOS, but that only interfaces with specific ethernetcards.

I have to say, although from a didactical point of view the SCC network
module is very interesting, not being connected to the internet via UDP,
is a show stopper for me.
And it holds me back from promoting it as a 'first programming language'
at the gymnasium I teach. I want to use Oberon in my lessons but are
forced to advice Python because of the lack of ethernet libraries.*

Has someone interfaced the ethernet linux library to the oberon system or
language? Is there some interest in community to do this for the OLR or
OBC?

Greets,
Frans-Pieter Vonck

* I read a recent blog of Jan Verhoeven where he demonstrates the use of
the the 'foreign module'  in Modula-2. With the Mocka under linux x86 it
is easy to import libraries.
http://fruttenboel.verhoeven272.nl/mocka/unix2.html